Nuchal translucency (NT) scans have been performed at NSMI since 2009. Our Ultrasound technologists and Radiologists are certified by the Fetal Medicine Foundation and we are an accredited site for the BC Prenatal Genetic Screening Program.
The NT scan, in combination with the results of blood tests, can help your doctor/midwife assess your baby’s risk of having Down syndrome or other chromosomal abnormalities.
The Medical Services Plan of British Columbia will cover this exam if you meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Women > 35 years old at the expected date of delivery (EDD);
- Women with twin pregnancies;
- Women who have a history of a previous child or fetus with Down syndrome, trisomy 18 or 13;
- Women who are HIV positive
- Women pregnant following in vitro fertilization with intracytoplasmic sperm injection (IVF with ICSI)
NSMI offers NT scan for those women who do not currently fit within the program’s guidelines. Cost of the exam is $340.00.
For more information on the BC Prenatal Genetic Screening Program, please visit www.bcprenatalscreening.ca. Their website also has a “dating” tool which is designed to help you determine when the best times are to schedule your ultrasound and blood work.